Alternate text is one of the most misspent weapons in a business’s arsenal. Therefore, online business owners should look at all the pictures they have on a website to ensure that they have appropriate alternate text associated with those pictures. To know more about alt text for images, you should enrol on the best digital marketing course in Ahmedabad. We are also going to discuss what alt text is and how it plays an important role in your SEO.
What is alt text?
Alt text (often known as “alt tags” and “alt descriptions”) is the written copy that appears in place of an image on a webpage if the image fails to load on a user’s screen. This text helps screen-reading tools describe images to visually impaired readers and allows search engines to better crawl and rank your website.
Alt Text Example
<img src=”pupdanceparty.gif” alt=”Puppies dancing”>
Alt text uses
- Adding alternative text to photos is a prime principle of web accessibility. By using screen readers, visually impaired users can read an alt attribute to better understand an on-page image.
- If an image file isn’t able to load, the alt text will be displayed in place of that image.
- Alt text offers better image context/descriptions to search engine crawlers.
Why is alt text important?
Alt text is the main tenet of web accessibility. Its primary objective is to describe images to visitors who can’t see them. By offering screen readers and browsers that block images, this also encourages sight-impaired visitors to visually identify an image. If you incorporate alt text into your images, all users (irrespective of visual inability) can appreciate the content on your site.
Using alt text on your images can offer a better user experience. It also helps you to enjoy both explicit and implicit SEO benefits. Alt text also contributes significantly to image SEO.
Though search engine image recognition technology has improved immensely over the past few years, search crawlers still can’t “see” the images on a website page like us. So, it won’t be a prudent decision to leave the interpretation merely in their hands. If they don’t understand or interpret it wrongly, you may either rank for unintended keywords or slip out from high ranking.
Alt text provides you with another opportunity to include your target keyword. You can create an alt text that describes both the image and keyword.
How do you write good alt text?
- Describe the image precisely possible: The prime objective of alt text is to provide text explanations of images to users who are visually impaired. If an image can’t portray any meaning or value and is just used for design purposes, then, you should keep it within the CSS instead of HTML.
- Keep it short: The most popular screen readers cut off alt text at around 125 characters. So, it is recommended to keep it within this length.
- Use keywords: Alt text embraces you with another opportunity to insert your target keyword on a page. Thus, another opportunity for search engines to show that your page is highly relevant to a particular search query. Though your priority is to describe context to the image, if possible, include your keyword in the alt text of at least one image on the page.
- Avoid keyword stuffing: Google will penalize you if you adorn your alt text with too many relevant keywords. Your prime focus should be on writing descriptive alt text that provides context to the image and if possible, insert your target keyword.
- Don’t use images as text: Since search engines can’t read text within your images, you should avoid using images in place of words. If you need to do, you should explain what your photo conveys within your alt text.
- Don’t include “image of,” “picture of,” etc. in your alt text: Your alt text is pre-defined and it usually refers to an image, so no need to mention it.
- Don’t forget longdesc=””: Explore using the longdesc=”” tag for more complex images that demand a longer description.
- Don’t neglect form buttons: If a form on your website uses an image as its “submit” button, give it an alt feature. Image buttons must have an alt trait that defines the function of the button like, “search”, “apply now”, “sign up,” etc.
In this competitive world, a business develops an insurmountable advantage over its contenders when it gives priority to SEO efforts. Alt text may be one of the most unheeded parts of SEO. Therefore, a business can gain a lot of ground by doing some efforts on alt text images.
TraininginSEO is a well-known digital marketing training institute in Ahmedabad that teaches you alt text and other important things about digital marketing. With its unparalleled training, the institute helps you to get employed in a reputed SEO company in Ahmedabad.
To know more details about TraininginSEO and its courses, visit the website of the institute.