Ruby is an object-oriented programming language, which was developed by Yukihiro Matsumoto in mid-1990 in Japan. The main goal of its development was to make it act as a sensible buffer between human programmers and the underlying computing machinery.
It is estimated that Ruby programming language when it is combined with the Rails framework, offers to create a basic web application 30-40 percent quicker than when doing it in any other programming language. The Ruby developers community on GitHub is developing dynamically. The network also has many guides and several good practices that help develop the Ruby environment. There is a constant update of Ruby and its popular Rails framework.
Ruby is based on several other languages like Perl, Lisp, Smalltalk, Eiffel, and Ada. It is an interpreted scripting language that means most of its implementations execute instructions directly and freely, without initially compiling the program into machine-language instructions. Ruby is being used in a vast range of areas, especially in web applications and data science.
In this article let’s dive deeper into the Ruby language and understand its advantages as well as the difference between Ruby and Ruby on Rails. And also prove why it is considered the most underappreciated language.
Advantages of Ruby
- Ruby programming language is It does not consist of hard rules on how to develop features and it is very close to spoken languages.
- One of the major objectives of Ruby is to offer the simple and quick creation of web applications. Because of this, there is a less strenuous process when compared to any other programming language.
- Ruby offers small, elegant, and powerful code. It also reduces programming time.
- Ruby also has Gems, which are Ruby extensions, where the application development process can be significantly accelerated.
- In Ruby, the programmers have the freedom to use ready-made code fragments and to facilitate the tasks.
- Ruby is an open-source language. It is free to copy, use, modify and distribute. The Ruby language is available to be used in other projects, developers can do relevant changes and can code without any type of restrictions.
- Developers also have the freedom to maintain reference counts in extension libraries with the help of mark-and-sweep garbage collection that is one of the features of Ruby. It can also load extension libraries dynamically.
- Ruby is also a very flexible language, as it offers the programmers to change the code contents at any time. In this way, it does not limit the programmer, who can easily make any modifications whenever they want.
- Ruby can be accessed very easily because its libraries and developers do not have to pay any kind of additional costs.
- Ruby does not create a high barrier to entry. One has to have good, short, and intensive training to get started in Ruby.
Ruby on Rails
Ruby on Rails (RoR) is an open-source web application framework. Ruby on Rails is one of the key features of the Ruby language. Ruby is helpful to write Ruby on Rails. Ruby on Rails, simply called Rails was designed for Ruby by David Heinemeier Hansson and was released in July 2004.
· Differences between Ruby and Ruby on Rails
- Ruby is a programming language whereas Ruby on Rails is a web application framework.
- Ruby is an object-oriented, dynamic, interpreted scripting language whereas Ruby on Rails is an open-source web application framework that runs on the Ruby programming language.
Many might consider the Ruby has no future and it is not worth it. But the benefits it offers are too many to ignore. Break the stereotypes and start learning it to experience one of the best programming.