QuickBooks Desktop accounting software is subject to errors due to its reliance on Windows components. The majority of these issues appear shortly after installing QuickBooks on a Windows machine or after an upgrade. During such a process, the configuration is invariably changed, affecting the compatibility of Windows components with QuickBooks. QuickBooks Error 1904 is one of these errors. The good news is that, unlike some of the other deadly errors, QuickBooks error 1904 typically causes no problems with accounting data or corporate files.
Steps to fix QuickBooks Error 1904
Step 1: Use the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool I
- In the QuickBooks Tool Hub, you may find the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool. Before starting the scan with the utility, make sure the QuickBooks Desktop application is closed.
- Run QuickBooks Tool Hub (QuickBooksToolHub.exe) after downloading and installing it.
- Once the application has opened, go to the settings menu and select QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool.
- Restart the computer and open the QuickBooks program again.
Step 2: Manage security settings
- Some QuickBooks files may be prevented from being processed by antivirus or firewall settings. While the procedure varies depending on the antivirus software, the goal is to add QuickBooks files to the exclusion list.
Step 3: Open QuickBooks Desktop with the Admin Account that comes pre-installed.
When users use the built-in admin account to start an application, the UAC (User Account Control) is disabled. In this mode, the limits on apps will be lifted, which may help resolve the problem. This procedure is simply for detecting the problem while using QuickBooks and is not intended to be a long-term solution.
- Depending on your Windows version, try saving a test note from Notepad’s File menu to “C:/Program Files/Common Files” or “C:/Program Files(x86)/Common Files.”
- Search for CMD using the Windows key on the keyboard.
- Use the Run as Administrator option to open the file.
- Type in net user administrator /active: yes (or net user administrator /active: no if you receive an error) and hit the enter key to complete the command.
- With the Switch User option, you can switch to the Default Admin Account.
- On the File Explorer, go to C:/Program Files/Common Files.
- Open Properties by right-clicking it.
- Go to the Security tab and select Edit from the drop-down menu.
- In the “Group or user names” column, choose Users from the list.
- Turn on Modify, Read & execute, List folder contents, Read, and Write permissions in the “Permissions for Users” section.
- Press OK after clicking Apply.
- Reinstall QuickBooks.
- Sign in with the regular account.
- If the system is used by multiple users, the administrator account should be hidden.
Step 4: Remove Adobe Flash Player
A recent installation of the Adobe Flash player can hamper the normal functioning of the QuickBooks Desktop. QuickBooks Error 1904 may be resolved by reinstalling the software, albeit this is a relatively rare occurrence.
- From the Start menu, select the Control. Panel and then click on it.
- Select Adobe Flash Player ActiveX from the list of programs that can be uninstalled by selecting Uninstall a Program.
- Uninstall and Reinstall the software.
If none of the techniques above are successful in resolving QuickBooks Error 1904, you may need the help of an expert. You can get in touch with the Accounting Error Solution team to get the best and relevant solutions.