Most manufacturers of shooting accessories have heard the cries of the legions of .223 and 5.56 shooters. An immense majority of accessories are compatible with these cartridges, from magazines to speed loaders and more.
But despite their near-ubiquity, not all ARs are chambered around them. There are some other cartridges paired with the AR-15 and other sporting rifles that have a loyal following.
We’re not talking about classics like the .22 Nosler or 7.62x29mm. Let’s take, for example, the .50 Beowulf.
This behemoth of a cartridge was designed as an alternative to the .223, providing much higher stopping power at closer ranges. The .50 Beowulf, for example, may have much lower muzzle velocities than the .223 or 5.56, but with common bullet weights in excess of 300 grains, you can guess which hits harder, at least up close.
But for shooters that utilize bully cartridges like these, it’s a little harder to find compatible shooting accessories, such as, for example, a casing catcher.
While it’s true that some casing catchers developed for .22 centerfire, .223, 5.56, and 7.62 cartridges will work with .50 caliber cartridges like the .50 Beowulf, it never hurts to be sure.
Here’s one that is.
Enter the Brass Goat
The Brass Goat, produced by Magwell Mounts, is one of the hard plastic cartridge catchers that is compatible with the .50 Beowulf. Among other selling points, the Brass Goat:
● Will never melt, catch fire, or jam.
● Is made of hard, molded ABS resin, so it is impervious to weather and moisture.
● Will not hangle up on brush or brambles.
● Is easy to clean, compared to alternative casing catchers with mesh bags and wire frames.
● Mounts easily, in seconds, without tools. It snaps right into place on the magwells of mil-spec AR-15 lower receivers.
● Is slim and streamlined, cutting back on the bulk and width of your overall platform.
● Will not obstruct your sight picture and does not extend over the top of your receiver.
● Is lightweight and ergonomic.
● Is designed to mount to lower receiver magwells, so it doesn’t take up any rail space, keeping your Picatinny rail clear for other accessories.
● Is compatible with a detachable hopper that can be easily emptied, in lieu of the zippered mesh bags of other AR-15 brass catchers.
● Is 100% made in the U.S.A.!
Compatibility with Other Cartridges
In addition to compatibility with the .50 Beowulf, the Brass Goat is also compatible with:
● .17 Remington
● .204 Ruger
● .22 Nosler
● .223 Remington/5.56 NATO
● .224 Valkyrie
● .300 Blackout
● .350 Legend
● .450 Bushmaster
● And others – for a full list of compatible cartridges and other unique features, visit their website.
Learn More at BrassGoat.com
Just about any brass trap works great at preventing hot brass from spraying all over the shooting platform or the field – providing it’s compatible with your firearm and your cartridge. As for the Brass Goat, it’s compatible with mil-spec AR-15 lower receivers (forged receivers) and will also work with rifles that have extended mag releases, suppressors, and Magpul BAD levers.
It is equally important to note, however, that the Brass Goat is not compatible with receivers that have left-hand ejection ports, with side-charging upper receivers, or with rifles that have extended takedown pins. The Brass Goat is also not compatible with the AR-10, AR-308, or with the 6.5 Creedmoor.
To learn more about the Brass Goat casing catcher and its compatibility with certain platforms and cartridges, please visit their website, BrassGoat.com, or contact their customer service team directly. They can be reached at Admin@MagwellMounts.com or by phone at 1-833-MAGWELL.
For more information about Best Brass Catcher Please visit: Magwell Mounts, LLC.