Probiotics are a kind of “good” bacteria found in some foods and supplements. We usually consider bacteria as something which will cause diseases or other problems. But probiotics can help keep your gut healthy.
Your body doesn’t need probiotics. You have already got healthy bacteria in your gut. But it always doesn’t hurt to require them, and adding them to your diet might help.
How Probiotics Are Good for You
They might lower the amount of “bad” bacteria in your gut which will cause illness or inflammation. they will also replace those problem germs with good or helpful bacteria.
Researchers are studying when and the way probiotics might best help. There’s more research for a few illnesses than others. They could help people with:
- Diarrhea, especially when it’s linked to specific antibiotics. Probiotics also might help with infectious diarrhea, especially in children.
- Inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD) including regional enteritis and colitis . Some probiotics might keep colitis arrested (a state of little to no disease activity) and stop regional enteritis from relapsing and getting worse.
- Irritable bowel syndrome. Probiotics can sometimes help ease symptoms, including stomach pain, bloating, gas, diarrhea, and constipation.
Probiotics are also being studied for several other conditions. There isn’t the maximum amount research yet, but some people say that probiotics have helped them with:
- Preventing and treating yeast infections
- Preventing and treating tract infections
- Lactose intolerance
- Skin conditions like eczema
- Treating certain stomach and respiratory infections, especially in children
- Treating allergies and asthma
- Decreasing inflammation, like from atrophic arthritis
How Probiotics could be Bad for You
Because these good bacteria exist already within the body, they’re considered safe for many people. But there are some things to think about .
They can trigger an allergy . They could cause mild stomach problems, especially the primary few days you begin taking them. You would possibly have indigestion , gas, diarrhea, or bloating. Those symptoms usually get away after your body gets wont to them.
If you’ve got an system problem or another serious health condition, you’ll have a greater chance of issues. Some reports have linked probiotics to serious infections and other side effects. The people presumably to possess trouble are those with system problems, people who’ve had surgery, et al. who are critically ill. Don’t take probiotics if you’ve got any of these issues.
Always ask your pediatrician before giving probiotic supplement to your child. If you’re pregnant or nursing, you ought to also ask your doctor before you are trying one.
Most probiotics within the U.S. are sold as dietary supplements. Meaning the businesses that make them do not have to check their products and show that they work or that they’re safe. More research is required to verify that probiotics are safe and effective.
Ask your doctor which probiotics are the proper ones for you. Make certain to prevent taking them if you’ve got any problems.