QuickBooks desktop application allows users to manage their income and expenses and helps to pay taxes, bills, track sales, send invoices and many more. However, sometimes users get the ‘QuickBooks not responding when opening’ error that causes QuickBooks to stop working. When the error interrupts, QuickBooks freezes and the user no longer able to open the company file. In this blog, we will discuss about QuickBooks payroll has stopped working error, its causes and troubleshooting methods, so read carefully till the end.
If you are getting QuickBooks has stopped working error and need an immediate solution, then talk to certified QuickBooks professionals by dialling our toll-free number (1.800.579.9430)
What leads to QuickBooks has stopped working error?
Here’s your answer to why does my QuickBooks not open:
- Your Windows operating system is damaged.
- The QuickBooks company file name is too long.
- The QBWUSER.INI file is damaged or missing.
- Corrupt installation of QuickBooks desktop application.
Let us move on to the troubleshooting procedure in order to fix the error.
Best Possible Solutions for ‘QuickBooks has stopped working’ error
Given below are some quick troubleshooting steps for the ‘QuickBooks not responding when opening the company file’ error:
Solution 1. Use Quick Fix my Program
The tool will run a quick repair on the program and close any open background applications that QuickBooks uses. To run the tool, first, download the QuickBooks Tool Hub by following the steps given below:
- Exit QuickBooks desktop application.
- We suggest downloading the latest version of the QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Move to Downloads.
- Then, open the QuickBooksToolHub.exe file.
- Install the tool hub by following the on-screen steps.
- Further, agree to the terms and conditions.
- Once the installation completes, the QuickBooks Tool Hub icon will appear on the desktop.
Run Quick Fix my Program
- Open the tool hub by double-clicking on its icon.
- Choose the Program Problems tab.
- Click Quick Fix my Program.
- Open QuickBooks and the company file.
If the error continues, go to the next solution.
Solution 2. Try to rename the QBWUSER.INI file
We can fix the damage to the QBWUSER.INI file by renaming it. To change the filename:
- Navigate to the folder containing the QBWUSER.INI file.
- Open the folder and right-click on the file.
- Choose Rename.
- Change the name by adding .old at the end of the file name.
- Also, rename the EntitlementDataStore.ecml file.
- Open QuickBooks desktop again.
If you still get the same error, try the next solution.
Solution 3. Use QuickBooks Install Diagnostic tool
The tool will resolve issues of Microsoft components that QuickBooks uses:
- Reopen QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Select the Program Problems tab.
- Click QuickBooks Program Diagnostic tool.
- Wait till the tool finishes.
- After that, restart your system.
Hopefully, the solutions mentioned in the blog help you fix the ‘QuickBooks has stopped working’ error. If the problem persists, get assistance from the QuickBooks technical support team by calling us on our customer care number (1.800.579.9430).