The technological advancement throughout the 20th century has led us to an online world. It has made us forget the offline world. This new age of social media, websites, emails, etc., has encouraged us to use the internet for all our purchases and requirements.
Though, on the face of it, this seems to be convenient, easy, and simple – we are now faced with newer problems and challenges. Online purchases and shopping means that we use our cards on the internet for payments. It leaves us vulnerable to financial hacking, fraudulent transactions, phishing, and other such scams.
Credit cards in India have also been subject to such scams. Thus, it is important to keep your card safe while making online credit card payments. Below are some tips to help you stay protected:
A. Check the URL
- Be careful to check the URL before using the site. Spammers have in-depth knowledge of the internet and are capable enough to create very realistic URLs and website names to confuse you.
- Do not click on links that you are not sure of. The internet is flooded with fake links that will direct you right into a scam.
- Be wary of the deals that look too good to be true. You can only find commercially viable deals on the internet. If there is a deal that is too attractive, it is probably a scam.
B. Stick to dependable names
- If you do happen to find a product you want on a relatively new site, check if the same is available on known platforms. This way you will have the comfort of being protected by the company in case of fraud. Most of the known players such as – Big Basket, Amazon, Flipkart, etc have excellent customer service and also a return policy.
- Using your cards on such platforms will keep you protected from any unnecessary fraudulent financial transactions.
- The general rule is – check the vintage of the company. Only if it is at least two years old on the internet, should you consider buying directly from the site?
C. Never Save Details
- Never save any of your card details on any computer. Even if it is your personal computer, do not save your card details.
- You are not only a threat from the internet hackers but also from other users who might use your computer. Hence, always avoid saving any information related to your card on your computer or mobile.
D. Divulging details
- Understand how online payment works. It would help you understand what information is required by the merchant to receive payment from you. Do not divulge your card details over email, messages, or any such one-to-one communication platforms.
- You should enter your card details only on a site. There is no reason for the merchant to ask for your card number, CVV, OTP, etc. Further, ensure that the site begins with HTTPS. It facilitates encryption between your computer and the merchant site. HTTP or Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure will ensure that your card details are safe, secure, and not shared with third-party vendors.
In conclusion, the online world has now become a necessity. Considering the ongoing pandemic, we have to maintain social distancing and stay home as much as we can. In a new world, fighting Covid 19, we have to make all our purchases online. Companies are also entering the online market to offer their product and services to us. Hence, it has become impossible to avoid buying online. Thus, we need to be more careful and ensure that we are protected, against any online scams. Just keep in mind the above points, and your online experience will never be bitter.